Job was saved successfully.
Job was removed from Saved Jobs.
Blue Shield of California
Underwriter Large Group (21002YZ)
OCCUPATION: HEALTH INSURANCE/MEDICAL
SPECIALTY: GENERAL/CLAIMS RISK
Blue Shield of California’s mission is to ensure all Californians have access to high-quality health care at a sustainably affordable price. We are transforming health care in a way that truly serves our nonprofit mission by lowering costs, improving quality, and enhancing the member and physician experience.
To fulfill our mission, we must ensure a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where all employees can be their authentic selves and fully contribute to meet the needs of the multifaceted communities we serve. Our comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion combines a focus on our people, processes, and systems with a deep commitment to promoting social justice and health equity through our products, business practices, and presence as a corporate citizen.
Blue Shield has received awards and recognition for being a certified Great Place to Work, best place to work for LGBTQ equality, leading disability employer, one of the best companies for women to advance, Bay Area’s top companies in volunteering & giving, and one of the world’s most ethical companies. Here at Blue Shield of California, we are striving to make a positive change across our industry and the communities we live in – join us!
The Core ER underwriting team is responsible for balancing operating income and membership goals while protecting the company’s bottom line from loss. The Core ER Underwriting team project COHC and set premium rates, identify/mitigate risk selection, set contribution structure for stable/favorable risk distribution, project/account for migration/enrollment/risk mix, and account for competitor and BSC provider contracts and its impact to projected COHC for Fully Insured and Self-Funded groups.
The Experienced Underwriter- Large will report to the Manager, Group Underwriting -Large. In this role you will work to achieve operational targets within job area with impact on department results. You will also work independently on moderately complex projects/assignments and seeks guidance on projects/assignments of higher complexity.
This position will be hybrid within the state of California only.
In this role, you will:
Your Knowledge and Experience
- Collect, review, and analyze customer specific information including financial condition, employee demographics, carrier history and previous claim experience to determine risk, potential benefit features and premium rates for fully insured and self-funded groups
- Underwrite new and renewal business by calculating monetary risk along with amendments to existing contracts
- Assist as necessary in the negotiation of benefit plan designs and financial assumptions with sales teams on new and renewed business
- Review and approve all sales requests within company established standards and policy guidelines
- Review and interpret ad hoc reports as requested and produce ongoing reports
- Updates underwriting databases as appropriate
- May assist the sales team in implementing new and existing contracts by reviewing final enrollment numbers
- Provides underwriting knowledge sharing and education to peers and/or members of the sales team
- Other duties as assigned
- Requires a bachelor's degree in a related field such as finance, mathematics or accounting and/or equivalent
- combination of education and experience
- Requires at least 3 years of prior relevant experience
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Suite of products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Excellent math skills with good judgement and attention to details
- Honest. We hold ourselves to the highest ethical and integrity standards. We build trust by doing what we say we're going to do and by acknowledging and correcting where we fall short
- Human. We strive to be our authentic selves, listening and communicating effectively, and showing empathy towards others by walking in their shoes
- Courageous. We stand up for what we believe in and are committed to the hard work necessary to achieve our ambitious goals