1099 Commercial Insurance Loss Control Inspector
Sedgwick’s loss control consultants are 1099 contractors who act on behalf of insurance underwriters, traveling to commercial properties to observe and evaluate general conditions, physical characteristics, and potential exposures. They schedule and complete on-demand physical (onsite) insurance inspections for said commercial and/or residential properties. They survey properties and collect information for clients in checklist and/or narrative formats to determine if the insureds risk(s) meets carrier eligibility requirements for underwriting new insurance policies or existing policy renewals. Most of Sedgwick’s inspections focus on property and general liability coverage for commercial risks such as retail and convenience stores, offices, churches, schools, restaurants, and apartment/condo complexes, but we also service other commercial insurance lines of business including Worker's Compensation, commercial auto, and product and completed operations liability. Surveys or risk assessments can be monoline or multi-line. Upon inspection completion, consultants promptly prepare clear and concise comprehensive reports that include exterior measurements, diagrams, photographs, and recommendations in order to summarize the current conditions and visible hazards associated with a potential risk.
Sedgwick processes pay weekly and pays inspectors per completed reports based on client specifications, specialty, program, location, and other factors. Our typical fee models are:
· Flat Rate per assignment
· Time and Expenses (professional and travel) per assignment
· Project Based
Our independent loss control consultants can decline any assignment they feel is not suitable for their skill level or fee requirements. The number and frequency of assignments may vary depending on geographical location, client requirements, and skill set. Sedgwick assigns work based on skill set and capacity.
Independent Contractor Qualifications
· Must have HS diploma or equivalent and at least 2 years of commercial building inspection experience with a complete understanding of commercial property and casualty lines, including property, general liability, and, for high-level assignments, such as Workers’ Compensation and Auto, credentials/qualifications will be required (some States require State approval to conduct WC surveys).
· Self-disciplined, organized, and able to prioritize and manage the assigned workload as well as schedule and conduct inspections in an efficient and timely manner
· Self-starter who works individually and can meet hard deadlines under limited and remote supervision
· Proficient with PC and internet, including Microsoft Office suite
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
· Professional conduct and excellent interpersonal skills, along with strong analytical, consultative, and interpretive skills
· Must be physically able to complete inspections to adequately assess properties and be comfortable working outside in various weather conditions and temperatures
· No active licensed insurance agents/producers
You must have your own equipment for use on the job including, but not limited to, the following:
· Smartphone, tablet or digital camera, camera pole, PPE.
· PC-based (non-Apple) computer/laptop with Windows 10 or newer
· Image/document scanner
· High-speed internet connection with Chrome or Edge browsers for uploading completed reports, photos, and diagrams via a dedicated website
· Measuring wheel or similar measuring device to determine building perimeters
· Valid driver's license and reliable, insured transportation to cover an assigned territory
NOTE: A motor vehicle record check, confirmed via a background screening, is required for this position.
The statements contained in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a contractor assigned to this description. They are not intended to constitute a comprehensive list of functions, duties, or local variances. Management retains the discretion to add or change the duties of the position at any time.